Pillars of responsible property investing: Driving positive change
Awards & recognition
Principal Real Estate Investors has a long-standing commitment to corporate stewardship and an established track record in responsible property investing. Our Pillars of Responsible Property Investing (PRPI) platform helps drive asset management and fiduciary governance and aims to deliver positive financial and environmental results.
We are very proud of what we have achieved through our platform to date and the recognition we have received.
ENERGY STAR® Partner
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s ENERGY STAR Partner of the Year Award recognizes organizations with superior energy management and performance.
- Awarded three consecutive ENERGY STAR® Partner of the year awards (2016-2018), including our first Sustained Excellence Award in 20181
- Became an ENERGY STAR Partner in 2013
GRESB, the global benchmark for real assets, compares real estate funds based on their environmental, social, and governance policies, management, and performance.
- Our core-plus commingled real estate strategy and our core property strategy earned a GRESB Green Star designation for the fifth year in a row (2014-2018) and a 4-star designation for the third year in a row (2016-2018)2
- In 2018, both strategies placed in the top 10 of their peer group, outperformed peers on 6 out of 8 GRESB aspects, and received a perfect score in three GRESB aspects (Management, Policy & Disclosure, and Risks & Opportunities)3
- Became a GRESB member in 2014
U.S. Department of Energy
We have collaborated with the U.S. Department of Energy in several programs to support advancements in energy efficiency and green buildings.
- Recognized as a Green Lease Leader by the Institute for Market Transformation and the U.S. Department of Energy’s Better Buildings Alliance (2017)4
- Became a charter member of the U.S. Department of Energy Data Lab and a leading participant in a pilot study on the link between real estate sustainability and improved financial performance (2016)
- Joined the U.S. Department of Energy’s Better Buildings Alliance in 2014
Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI)
Direct Property Module
The PRI assessment ranks companies based on their environmental, social, and governance policies and procedures in the management of real estate assets.
- A+ band rating for second consecutive year in 2018, the highest possible rank awarded by PRI5
- Received 52 out of 54 maximum points and outperformed peers in all 7 Property Module sections (2018)5
CDP Climate Performance Leader
The CDP ranks companies on their disclosure, awareness, management, and leadership around climate change.
- Named a CDP S&P 500 Climate Performance Leader for the fifth year in a row (2017) and ranked in the A- band for 2017 performance6
Environmental, social, and governance achievements
- Named one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies for the eighth time by Ethisphere Institute (2018)7
- Certified as a Great Workplace by Great Places to Work (2018)8
- Ranked #1 Best American Employer for Women by Forbes (2018)9
- Named among America’s top companies for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) equality, by earning a perfect 100 percent score on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2018 Corporate Equality Index (CEI)10
- Named one of the National Association for Female Executives (NAFE) Top Companies for Executive Women by the NAFE for the 17th time (2018)11
- Ranked 184 out of 500 U.S. firms in the Newsweek Green Rankings (2017)12
- Named among the best places to work by Pensions & Investments annual survey of “Best Places to Work in Money Management” for the sixth year running (2016)13